Due to current COVID social distancing restrictions our office remains closed for walk-in assistance. Please continue to use the post office, the drop box
on the front of our building or e-mail missieh@oswegony.org. We appreciate your cooperation and patience during these unprecedented times.


Portability is the ability of a family to move from the City of Oswego Rental Assistance Program's jurisdiction to a location in another housing authority’s jurisdiction.

Who is eligible for portability?
Any voucher holder that is in good standing and are not subject to any restrictions.

Are there any restrictions on eligibility?
Yes. You can not move under portability during the initial term of your lease. For example, if you have become a program participant within the past 12 months, you can not port out until the expiration of your initial lease term.

Where can I transfer my Section 8 Voucher?
To any housing authority anywhere in the United States that is administering a tenant-based (Section 8 Voucher) program.

However, if you choose to move to an area where there is no housing agency to administer your Section 8 Voucher, we can deny you portability to that area.

What you should do if you choose to move under the portability provision:
You must notify our office  of your desire to move under portability and of where you want to move. Your current housing counselor will counsel the family on the proper procedures for terminating the current lease and any other necessary requirements such as paying any monies owed the Housing Authority.Your housing counselor will then find out whether or not there is a housing authority operating a Section 8 program in the area the family wants to move.

If there is a housing authority operating in the area the family wants to move, the Rental Assistance Program will contact that housing authority to determine whether or not it will issue their own Voucher or administer on behalf of the Rental Assistance Program.

The Rental Assistance Program will send necessary documents to the receiving housing authority and notify the client of whom they should contact at the receiving housing authority.

Will the programs work the same if I transfer under the portability provision?
Yes and no. All the programs are governed according to the Federal Regulations, therefore, there are many similarities. However, housing authorities do have areas in which they can create their own rules and Payment Standards (PS) vary from one housing authority to another. You will have to locate housing that fits within the guidelines of the particular area you have chosen to live in.You must meet the income guidelines for the area in which you want to transfer your Section 8 Voucher.

What are the advantages of moving under the portability provision?
The most obvious advantage is to give you more options without you sacrificing your rental assistance.